One of my fellow classmates once used an idea called, "Glow and Grow," to provide feedback for a writing piece of mine. He described the positive components of the piece under the, "glow," section and the parts that needed improvement, he wrote under, "grow."
I loved that! Particularly because I am a sucker for a good rhyme, but ultimately because I think this has some potential in reflecting my personal philosophy in responding to students' work and other points of instruction. One of the most crucial parts of the writing process is the teacher's response because it allows for growth to take place. The other parts of the writing process have weight as well, but I think how an instructor responds sticks with a student for a long time.
Beth S. Neman discusses right from that get-go that a balanced approach to teaching writing and specifically responding to students' work is the right approach. First, Neman discusses a craft centered approach vs. affect centered approach to writing instruction. Craft centered is a little more cut and dry in approach because it follows standards and rules in instruction and response to writing. Neman writes that these teachers are not afraid to mark up a student's work with a red pen because they do not follow the standards laid out for them. On the other hand, affect centered is focused on praise and boosting students' confidence. Affect centered is much more liberating in approach and allows for the student to be more creative. Both approaches have their benefits and costs, and so Neman introduces a third approach-the balanced approach. The balanced approach basically reminds us that while we need to consider students' feelings and remain caring, we do not need to drown them in praise. Neman writes on page 12, "Praise for such work, like praise based only on simple kindness, does not elevate students' levels of self-esteem. Thus, though unfairly placed or excessive criticism is harmful, warmth and praise are also ineffectual where quality is not insisted upon and standards do not exist."
Balanced. Glow and grow. I want to challenge my students, always building onto their foundation and helping to solidify the foundation already in place. Students need to be reminded of their potential, some more than others, but all students need to know that their best is also the desired route. On the post entitled, "Teaching the Student," that some teachers will feel the need to correct every grammatical error, every single fragment, and every part of the work that was done incorrectly. This can communicate to students that they are failures, especially if they earned a failing grade with no hope for lifting that grade. However, I believe it would be negligent to not correct anything on the piece in order to be sensitive to the student. This would hinder the students' future success and ability to grow as a writer.
I hope to always remember that my students are learning, and learning can happen by being affirmed in what we have done well and being corrected in areas that need growth. I like, "Glow and Grow," as opposed to, "Correct and Wrong," because it reaffirms the students' strengths and encourages them to improve upon a few areas that need improvement. My students are learning just as I am learning because we never really arrive as writers. I am constantly trying to hone in my skills as a writer, and I need to give myself and my students the grace to get there.

No comments:
Post a Comment